Friday, November 30, 2012

3D Bird House Ornament

While pulling out my Christmas decorations this year, I ran across this cute little bird house that I had made using one of Marion Smith's printables.   They were so much fun to make. I think I made dozens the a few years ago. With everyone preparing to decorate for the holidays, I thought it would be fun to share them with you today.  You can download the pattern here...


 
 
I printed my pattern onto a transparency then cut it out.  I then embossed it with a  Sizzix folder, and alcohol inked it green to give it a coke bottle effect. I used  crinkled basket paper in kraft to create a nest on the inside.  The roof was made with aluminum foil that was embossed then inked brown with alcohol ink.   I decorated it with some holly and a few Prima Fairy Tale Roses that were died red.  The sign was a small oval balsa wood shape that was stained with walnut ink and I hand wrote Home with a white gel pen.  I added a little mushroom bird that I'd gotten from the floral section, then sprinkled a little snow here and there for a winter look.
 
This little guy has been living on my tree since 2010. That Christmas my husband and I had bought my daughter a car, and we hid the key in the little house.  Since such a sweet gift was enclosed. I kept this one for myself, and every year we talk about the gift as we drag the ornament out of the box.
 
I love making these, and I've given some away with gift cards tucked inside. If you are careful how you attach the roof, it can be opened and closed.
 
I love having hand made ornaments on my tree. If you make these, I would love to see yours on the Artsy Addicts Facebook wall. Please be sure to tag me.
 
Thanks for stopping in today,
 
Tonya Gibbs




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover